With Sergeant E. Flax, NPD
Halloween Safety Tips
This months Blotter
comes straight from the Norfolk Police Department
Crime Prevention Unit. As you read this, Halloween
is just a few days away. If your house is like mine,
your kids have probably changed their mind about
their costume selection several times over. However,
I wanted to pass along a few safety tips for you
and your kids as everyone heads out in search of
clever tricks or delicious treats.
Safety Tips for Parents and Children:
1. A parent or responsible adult should always accompany
2. Make sure that each child either carries a flashlight,
uses a glow stick or wears something reflective
to mark themselves as they move about in the dark.
3. Have a plan; plan a route and agree on a time
or a meeting place so that everyone knows where
they should be and when.
4. Never let children eat anything that has not
been inspected by an adult; when in doubt, throw
5. Try to trick or treat in groups and in familiar
6. If you are driving, be cautious of excited children
darting out into the street and travel slower than
you usually would.
7. Notify the Police immediately if harmful items
are found, the Nonemergency number is 441-5610 if
you need assistance or 911 for an emergency.
Have a safe and spooky Halloween and keep those
tips and emails and suggestions coming to email@example.com
and as always, I look forward to seeing you
in the Green Zone Downtown.